Need help designing your education path? Call us at 855-513-9738 to discuss your options.
This course is divided into 4 main modules and is designed to build your foundation of wine knowledge as you progress. (see the course outline below) We think it is the best way to learn about wine in an approachable way.
Whether you are already acquainted with wine or have just been bitten by the ‘wine bug’ and are eager to learn more, this course will deepen your appreciation for wine while giving you a broader perspective and an expanded vocabulary. After successfully completing this course you will be able to select, store, and enjoy wine with greater confidence and ease. Who knows you might even want to continue your wine education journey and think about a career in wine.
Key detail about the Wine 101 Foundation online course:
- 100% Online
- 24/7 Availability
- 6-months of access from the time of registration
- Start your course anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
- GETTING STARTED
- 1| INTRODUCTION TO WINE
- 1.1| What’s in the Bottle
- 1.2| Wine Types & Styles
- Module 1 | Review & Quiz
- 2 | THE INFLUENCE OF SITE, GRAPE VARIETIES, & WINEMAKING
- 2.1 | The Influence of Site
- 2.2 | The Influence of Grape Variety
- 2.3 | The Influence of Winemaking
- Module 2 | Review & Quiz
- 3 | THE PRINCIPLES OF WINE REGIONS OF THE WORLD
- 3.1 | Wine Labels
- 3.2 | Old World
- 3.3 | New World
- Old World vs. New World – Handout
- Module 3 | Review & Quiz
- 4 | WINE TASTING, STORING, SERVING, AND PAIRING
- 4.1 | Tasting Wine
- 4.2 | Proper Storing & Serving Techniques
- 4.3 | Wine Pairing Basics
- 4.4 | Ordering Wine
- Module 4 | Review & Quiz
- Course Review
- Wine 101 Final Exam
Each of the lessons consists of a series of online activities, based on the topic covered. A quiz at the end of each lesson provides you with the opportunity to gauge your understanding of the material covered in that lesson. Activities are also sprinkled throughout the course to help you better experience the key aspects of wine.
SAMPLE COURSE VIDEO
Once you have successfully completed the Wine 101 Foundation course you will have gained:
- An understanding of the major styles of wine.
- An understanding of the major grape varieties and styles of wines they produce.
- An overview of classic wine-producing regions of the world and the styles of wine coming from each.
- An understanding of the correct way to taste wine including the use of the correct glassware.
- An understanding of the correct storage and serving temperature of wine.
- Knowledge on how to best pair wines with food.
STUDY MATERIALS INCLUDES:
- Interactive online study modules for each unit
- Online video
- Narrated presentations
- Learning assignments
- Online quizzes and learning games for self-evaluation
- Registration and the final quiz
- Online Course
- Certificate upon successful passing of the final quiz.
There are no required prerequisites. The course assumes that the student has no, or only a basic level of wine knowledge.
ABOUT THE CERTIFICATE
To obtain the Wine 101 Foundation certificate of completion you will need to successfully pass the 30 multiple-choice question quiz at the end of the course. This is an optional quiz.
Since this course is delivered 100% online, you will require access to a computer with the following minimum requirements:
- Adobe Reader XI or equivalent. Adobe Flash Player 11.
- Internet access (broadband recommended)
Q: How does the online coursework?
A: Students will gain immediate access to the online course and will have 6 months of access. This allows students to learn at their own pace. The course also contains videos, interactive feedback quizzes, up-to-date industry statistics, practice exam, and an optional graded final quiz.
Q: Will I have an instructor?
A: Yes, you will have access to one of our certified instructor who will be able to assist you in your studies.
Q: Why do I need this certification-can’t I just learn this information on my own using Wikipedia, and free online resources?
A: If you have enough time and resources anything is possible, however, there is so much inaccurate and information on the internet it is often hard to tell what is worth spending time on. Our program was designed, researched, and written by wine professionals that understand the responsibility of creating courses that conform to professional education standards. This will give you the confidence that your wine knowledge is validated and backed by a globally trusted education institution.