Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET)
The world’s leading wine certification body
Considered to be the Gold Standard in Wine Education.
The Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET)
Provides high-quality education in wines and spirits to more than 72,171 people every year around the globe making it the biggest and most respected wine education and certification organization of its kind in the world. Established in London in 1969 and currently offering its prestigious wine courses in over 73 countries and 19 languages it has become the foremost international organization in the field of wines and spirits education with over half a million individuals having completed a WSET qualification. In 2015, their efforts were recognized with a Queen’s Award for Enterprise in International Trade. The Wine and Spirit Education Trust offers a suite of sought-after qualifications that are considered to be the gold standard in wine education.
Wine Education for Every Level of Knowledge
WSET certifications are ideal for:
- Advancing your career in the wine and spirits industry.
- The Institute of Masters of Wine recognizes the WSET as preparing students for the rigorous Master of Wine program.
- Wine enthusiasts who wish to feel more confident about buying choices.
- Providing industry employees with the skills necessary to make wine and spirit recommendations to customers
- Providing supervisors with the authority and confidence to make informed decisions to management.
- Learning a systematic way of tasting wine that lets you professionally assess wines for quality and price.
WSET Level 1 Foundation Certification
An excellent way to jump start your career in wine.
- Level 1 Award in Wine
- This class provides a basic introduction to the main styles of wines available today. Level 1 is ideal for those who want to learn more for either personal knowledge or to boost wine confidence for hospitality, retail or other front-of-the-house positions in the industry. Ideal for restaurant servers without prior, formal wine education. Students will also gain insight into wine and food pairing techniques. Perfect for those entering the wine business or for those who want to know more about one of their favorite beverages.
- Level of Knowledge Needed to Take This Course: None. Teaching you is our job!
- To obtain the Level 1 Award Certificate in Wine, the student must successfully complete a multiple choice paper of 30 questions and take part in a food and wine matching exercise.
- Upon successful completion of this Level 1 Certification Course you will have gained:
- Knowledge of the basics of wine and wine styles
- Tutored tasting experience
- WSET Level 1 Award Certification
- PLEASE NOTE:
- This is a single day, 8-hour class.
- All course materials and textbooks, including any test fees, are included.
WSET Level 2 Certification- Award in Wine & Spirits
PLEASE NOTE that Level 2 courses take place over three days:
- Level 2 Award in Wine: This qualification covers the key grape varieties grown and the different styles of wine produced around the world as well as the production of spirits and liqueurs. During class, students will be taken through a guided tasting of wines and taught the WSET systematic approach to tasting wine that will let you access wines in a structured manner. Napa Valley Wine Academy students will receive study pointers on the Level 2 WSET® exam.
- Level of Knowledge Needed to Take This Course: None necessary.
- This class is especially recommended for:
- Those in the retail, hospitality or wholesale areas of the wine and/or spirits industry wishing to obtain greater knowledge and professional certification from a trusted internationally-recognized organization;
- Wine enthusiasts wanting to gain a broad view of grapes and wines produced around the world
- Anyone wishing to learn how to taste and access wines professionally
- To obtain the Level 2 Award Certificate in Wine & Spirit, you will need to successfully pass a paper with 50 multiple choice questions.
- Upon successful completion of this Level 2 Certification Course, you will have gained
- Training in the broad range of wine, spirits and liqueur, knowledge which will help you in sales, hospitality and wholesale areas of the industry.
- Tutored tasting of wines
- Knowledge of the systematic approach to tasting that will allow you to access a wine’s quality and price
- Level 2 Award in Wine & Spirit Certification from the WSET®
- PLEASE NOTE:
- All course materials and textbooks, including any test fees, are included.
- Only wines to be tasted in class are provided in this course.
- NOTE: Advanced preparation with course text and materials is required. Materials mailed out upon registration.
WSET Level 3 Award in Wine – Advanced
This course provides a more in-depth and comprehensive look at the world of wines with an intense focus on systematically and professionally tasting wines.
- The Level 3 course covers the major grapes and wine styles produced around the world, including what influences the style and quality of these wines and the prices procured for them.
- A guided tasting of 80+ different wines –still, sparkling, and fortified- will be conducted in class over the course of 5 days.
- Level of Knowledge Needed to Take This Course: Level 2 certification is recommended. No prior knowledge is required.
- This course is ideal for anyone wishing to hold knowledge of the main wines of the world and to master a systematic approach to tasting that lets students access their quality and price.
- Level 3 is particularly recommended to equip those employed around the world in the wine industry with the authority and confidence to make informed decisions in a wide variety of trade situations. For those in a supervisory capacity, or those wishing to advance to such a position, the course provides the skills to advise management or customers on wine selections.
- This course is also for wine collectors or wine enthusiasts who wish to gain a better knowledge of wine in order to recognize varied wines around the world and the ability to access their quality and the price being asked for such wines.
- To successfully obtain the Level 3 Award Certification in Wine, students must take a two-part exam: a written and tasting portion.
- Upon successful completion of the Level 3 Certification Course, you will have gained
- In-depth training on wines of the world with an understanding of the factors that influence style, quality, and price.
- Knowledge applicable to sales, hospitality and wholesale areas of the industry, but also to those wishing to gain a deeper knowledge of wines around the world.
- Tutored tasting of 80+ wines which let you professionally access wines.
- An advanced Level 3 Award in Wine Certification from the Wine & Spirit Education Trust
- Ability to request and use the official logo — WSET Certified Advanced — on your business cards, websites, and other professional material.
- The required pre-requisite for Level 4 Diploma in Wine & Spirits
- This course takes place over five days (32 hours)
WSET Level 4 Diploma in Wine and Spirits
The Level 4 Diploma is designed for those working in the wine and spirits trade who are interested in perusing a career into food and beverage management, brand management, wine buyer for retail or restaurant, sales executive or other professional roles in the wines and spirits industry. This level of study is also suitable for the dedicated wine enthusiast wishing to build on knowledge gained at Level 3 and acquire further expertise in wine tasting.
This is the WSET’s flagship qualification, designed to prepare you for senior positions within the wines and spirits business. The course aims to not only develop your product knowledge to a specialist level, but will also enable you to acquire skills that will continue to be of use beyond the course and in your personal and professional wine journey. All courses are taught by industry experts, all of whom have up to date knowledge of contemporary and commercial issues related to wines and spirits.
The Level 4 Diploma is universally viewed as a pre-requisite to entry into the Master of Wine qualification.
The Diploma qualification is broken down into six mandatory units. Units 1 and 2 are typically taken first and the other units are taken in accordance with the program being offered by each Approved Program Provider.
You guys did a fantastic job! The instructors were great – very knowledgeable and entertaining and the entire process was very organized and relevant (i.e. no wasted time or subject material).—Fred H. - St Helena, California WSET Level 3 Graduate
Advantages of Napa Valley Wine Academy’s Wine School:
- Interactive learning techniques that help you study for the WSET certification exams.
- Instructors who are energetic and knowledgeable with decades of experience in the wine industry and will guide you through the administrative and learning process of wine certifications.
- An easy-to-use registration process with real people and real help just a phone call or email away.
- Classroom wines are specially chosen to be representative of the samples the WSET requires you to know, and brands that are recognizable or of quality to make the best showcase a variety and region.
- Instructor availability for questions by phone and email.
- Payment plans available.
- Multilingual: Certain courses can be offered in Spanish and German. Please inquire here if interested.
- Personal and friendly service when you inquire about classes or are going through the registration and certification process.