By Karen Wetzel, WSET L3, NVWE, AWE
December 30th, 2020
Is your resume long on skills but short on wine knowledge or experience? Check out this latest installment of our Wine Industry Career Series for fun, easy, often free ways to pump up your resume and look like a wine pro.
In our last issue of the Wine Industry Career Series, we showed you how to give your resume a makeover and land the wine job of your dreams. But, if you are still struggling to make your resume more wine-centric, you have come to the right place.
Here are some out-of-the-box ideas that can put some meat on the bones of your resume and help you close your experience gap.
Volunteer work is an eye-catching addition to your resume, and it is an opportunity to expand your wine knowledge. It’s also an excellent way to network with like-minded people and industry types.
- Work the harvest or help in a winery. Even urban wineries will take help when offered.
- Donate your time to a wine event that raises funds for non-profit organizations.
- Become a docent at a winery’s art gallery.
- Volunteer at winery concerts or events.
- Become an apprentice or intern.
- Become a host at a winery or tasting room. Did you know that every state in the US makes wine?
- Stock shelves at a wine shop or pour wine at a wine bar. This puts you in the right environment to learn and network.
- Wait tables or tend bar. Distributors see restaurants as a great resource to fill sales positions.
- Start or join a tasting group.
- Teach your friends, family, neighbors, or co-workers about wine.
- Conduct local tastings and wine dinners for a small fee. Take pictures, get testimonials.
Up Your Social Media Game (so prospective employees can see you in action—more on this next issue)
- Post original educational content or blog about your wine journey.
- Read, comment, and share wine-related articles.
- Follow wine professionals and groups and be sure to interact with them regularly.
Get Your Credentials, Take Courses, Attend Virtual Classes
- WSET, CSM, CSW – They get you to the top of the resume pile.
- Become an expert with our regional or business courses.
- Take advantage of our free webinars, videos, and blogs at The Napa Valley Wine Academy.
- Many regional organizations, such as Napa Valley Vintners, Rioja Wine Academy, Discovering Burgundy Wines, or New Zealand Wines offer free on-line courses and webinars.
This list is just the tip of the iceberg. There are almost endless ways to show a prospective employer that you are all in. You just need to get creative and put yourself out there. So, what’s holding you back? Pump up your resume and find the wine job you’ve been waiting for.
Next, we’ll take a deeper dive into how to up your Social Media game. Until then, keep learning, keep networking, and keep focused.
The views expressed by the author are hers alone and may not reflect the views of the Napa Valley Wine Academy.