By Karen Wetzel
With the start of the new year, we are all looking for ways to improve the quality of our lives, so why not start 2022 off right with resolutions that will help you follow your passion and find a job in the wine industry. Here are some simple but impactful ideas.
Resolution #1: Research job descriptions
- Narrow down the type of job that may best suit your skillset.
- Zero in on wine jobs through easy to use, wine and spirits job boards like Winejobs.com or Force Brands.com.
Resolution #2: Dust off that tired old resume
- Make it fresh and modern with resume-writing sites like Resume-Now.com or ResumeGig.com.
- Ensure your resume and cover letters sound professional with word-smithing help from Grammarly.
- Check this quick video and article from Indeed.com to help you choose your words carefully.
- Short on wine knowledge? Register for WSET now through the Napa Valley Wine Academy and list it on your resume as “in-progress” so prospective employers know you are on top of it.
- Lack work experience? Take a part-time job at a wine shop, restaurant, wine bar, or winery. And don’t let your shortcoming stand in your way of applying for the job you want.
Resolution #3: Get social on LinkedIn
- Update your LinkedIn profile.
- Connect with individuals, companies, and groups that are connected to the wine industry.
- Post original, wine-centric content to build a following of fellow wine enthusiasts and employers.
- Comment on or repost articles that align with your passion for wine.
- Why spend your time following random strangers when you can network with like-minded pros.
Resolution #4: Start applying
- Taking the first step is hard, but go ahead, dip your toes in the water.
- Start a job search tracker to keep yourself organized. You can find a free template in Excel or online.
These are simple resolutions that can make a big difference. There is no time like the present to follow your dreams. This new year might just lead to a new you.
Check out our Job Board & discover opportunities in the Wine Industry waiting for you
For personal, one-on-one career coaching with Karen Wetzel directly click here. Karen Wetzel is an employee of the Napa Valley Wine Academy. The views expressed in this article are hers alone and may not reflect the views of the Napa Valley Wine Academy.
In Case you Missed it — Other helpful articles from Karen Wetzel: