- History, Influences of the British and the French
- Regulations, standards and upcoming changes to label requirements
- Grape Varieties
- Terroir Characteristics, including the sub-regions and seven tributary valleys of the Ebro River
- Aging, oak regimens, outcomes and specific characteristics of oak
- Wine styles, wine service for Rioja styles
- Trade structures – Bodegas, Coops, Consejo Regulador
- Gastronomy and Culture
Exam details: The course is followed by an online exam ( 30 multiple-choice, 20 short-answer, one essay-question. NO TASTING) One hour in length; given at a later date convenient to the student.
Instructor: Nina Sventitsky is one of three Certified Rioja Wine Educators in the United States, having gone through the inaugural program by the Consejo Regulador in Logroño, Rioja in 2016. In addition to her work in education, Nina has worked with the US Rioja trade campaign to promote Rioja in the US since 2011. She holds the WSET Level 3 certificate, Court of Master Sommeliers Level 1 certification, and is a Silver Pin Certified Sommelier through AIS/WSA.