American Wine Expert™
The American Wine Expert™ certification program consists of Nine (9) units followed by an exam. Each interactive session covers one unit, hosted by wine industry experts on the subject of wines made in America. The sessions will cover the following topics and will include wine tastings to illustrate the wines discussed in each unit:
- Unit 1: Introduction to the History of Wine in America
- Unit 2: Wine Laws, Regulations, and Industry Numbers
- Unit 3: American Vines: Native, Hybrid, Vinifera Grapes
- Unit 4: Principles of Wine Tasting
- Unit 5: The Wines of the East Coast ( New York, Virginia)
- Unit 6: The Wines of the Interior (Texas, Michigan)
- Unit 7: The Wines of the Pacific Northwest (Oregon, Washington)
- Unit 8: The Wines of Northern California
- Unit 9: The Wines of the Mid to Southern California
- Final Session: Exam
Earning your AWE (American Wine Expert) Certificate
Students are assessed by a two-part American Wine Expert closed-book examination paper totaling a possible 100 points. A candidate will be required to pass with a minimum mark of 75% to earn the AWS Credential and certificate.
- Part one of the examination is comprised of 50 multiple-choice questions, with one point awarded for each correct answer.
- Part two of the examination is comprised of a combination of 10 fill-in the blank/matching questions, with 5 points awarded for each correct answer.
The examination paper is to be completed in 1 hour. All examination questions are based on the published learning objectives and the recommended study materials contain the information required to answer these questions correctly. A list of active AWEs will be maintained on the Napa Valley Wine Academy website. The certificate in American Wine Studies is a permanent accomplishment.
Location: Napa Valley Wine Academy 2501 Oak Street, Napa CA 94559