WSET Level 4 Diploma In-Person
Study for your WSET Level 4 Diploma in Wines in the comfort of our classroom
WSET Level 4 Diploma in Wines and Spirits In-Person Study
The In-class sessions primarily take place on weekends in an intensive format.
The in-class sessions are carefully scheduled to allow time for personal study at home and feature:
- Lectures led by industry experts
- Guided workshop exercises for theory and essay prep
- Guided and strategic tastings of over 250 light, sparkling and fortified wines & 32 spirits carefully curated to build analytical tasting skills and supplement theoretical knowledge
- Focused study and exam practice
Live webinars offer numerous additional opportunities including:
- Additional theory instruction
- Deep dives on difficult concepts or subjects
- Exam strategy
- Paper and essay writing strategy
In-class sessions are augmented by monthly live webinars and include sessions run by industry experts on subjects relevant to upcoming units and exams. For students unable to join a live webinar, these sessions are taped and made available for later viewing.
Live webinar sessions are in addition to the recommended schedule of teaching hours and provide the student with additional opportunities to interact with industry experts. There is no additional fee for these webinars; they are automatically included with your registration.
WSET Diploma Feedback Tests
- Passing the Level 4: To encourage successful exam preparation, included in your tuition is automatic enrollment in the WSET’s Diploma Feedback Tests. These Feedback Tests are a series of mock papers that are graded by WSET Educators. This valuable feedback will enable you to better prepare for the exams.
- Educational Field Trips are optional, additional expert-led study sessions to wineries and vineyards in Napa Valley. These sessions bring a greater level of understanding to certain topics such as vine training and pruning, wine filtration, etc. Registered students will be informed of dates and fees for these add-on learning experiences.
Enrollment is now open
(Applications will be accepted until the end of August 2018.)
Unit 2: Wine production – Class held August 18-19, 2018, in Napa
Unit 1: The global business of alcoholic beverages – Class held November 4, 2018, in Napa
Unit 5: Sparkling wines of the world – Class held March 13, 2019, in Napa
Unit 6: Fortified (liqueur) wines of the world – Class held June 13, 2019, in Napa
Unit 3: Light wines of the world – Class held October 2019 in Napa
WSET Level 4 Diploma in Wines & Spirits Intensive IN-PERSON Program (Tuition $7,900**)
Tuition Payment Options
- Option 1: Payment in full upon accepted enrollment $7,900
- Option 2: $2,100 due at time of accepted enrollment with 5 quarterly payments of $1,200 beginning August 1, 2018 (Total payment $8,100)
**All tuition paid, and enrollment in the course is valid for 3 Academic Years as per the WSET Level 4 Diploma Wines & Spirits specifications to cover exams and exam re-sit opportunities. Most students complete the program in two years, but the three-year academic period allows for any necessary exam re-sits. Tuition includes all first attempt exam registration fees for each unit.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Do I need to hold the wset level 3 prior to starting diploma?
Yes, WSET will not let you enroll in Level 4 Diploma until you have officially received your pass grade for the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Course.
Can I begin my diploma studies with a unit other than unit 1 and 2?
No, the WSET requires you to first sit the Unit 2 exam before doing any other Diploma Unit exam or paper – including Unit 1. That may sound odd, as you would think that you should start with Unit 1, but the Diploma units are not done in sequential order. Unit 2 must come first.
What happens if I don’t pass unit 2?
You may still proceed to other units as long as you have taken the Unit 2 exam. If you do not pass the exam you are able to schedule a retake, however, you do not have to wait until that retake before moving on to other units.
What happens if I can’t make an exam date?
Exam dates are set globally by the WSET headquarters, not by Napa Valley Wine Academy. Thus they are not flexible. Exam registrations are due to WSET 8 weeks prior to the exam date. If you give less than 8 weeks notice to opt out of your scheduled exam you cannot get out of taking it. The only exceptions are for documented medical or legal excuses. If you miss an exam it goes down as a “non-attend,” which is the same as a fail. You will need to pay for the exam when it is next offered, which may not be for a year. Exam dates are published well in advance so you really need to schedule your life around these dates.
Are the unit 1 exam and the unit 1 paper connected?
No, these are two separate assessments, each counting for 50% of your Unit 1 grade. They are based on different topics and have unique due dates. They do not have to be completed together.
Is it possible to finish diploma in 12 months?
No. The reason for this is that it would be impossible to get all the Unit exams completed in 12 months, given the way they are scheduled by the WSET. More practically, The Level 4 Diploma is a very comprehensive and challenging course of study and thus it takes at least 18 months to complete.
How long do I have to complete all diploma units?
When you enroll in the LEvel 4 Diploma it is for a term of three years.
What study materials come with my tuition and what do I need to get on my own?
For each Unit, the WSET publishes a Study Guide outlining what you need to know for that Unit. You will also need to purchase your own copy of “The Oxford Companion to Wine,” by Jancis Robinson and “Understanding Wine Technology,” by David Bird. We also provide a list of other books and websites that are recommended.
Can I switch providers/schools for individual diploma units?
The WSET expects you to complete the Level 4 Diploma with the provider you originally enroll with. If that provider is not offering a unit or unit exam that you need it is ok to take it with another provider. If you move to another provider’s area you may also switch to that provider.